Looking to gain laboratory research experience? In this role, you will assist members of the Iowa State University/USDA Agricultural Research Service monarch research team with the daily care of milkweed species and native nectar plants, rearing monarch butterflies through their entire life cycle, from eggs to adult insects, laboratory trials, and assist with a European corn borer colony.
Other duties: Data collection, data entry, and occasional field work. Outreach opportunities may include public events.
Full-time positions available starting May 11, 2020 – August 21, 2020 (30-40 hours/week).
Compensation is $10/hr or according to experience.
- Must be organized and willing to work flexible hours, including weekends
- Must guarantee availability between May 11 to August 21, 2020
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and have a valid U.S. Driver’s license
- If offered position, you must pass USDA security review to work in on-campus USDA laboratory
Demonstrated experience in any one of these areas is helpful but not required:
- previous laboratory or field technician experience
- knowledge of butterfly biology and/or native plant rearing
- experience strictly following laboratory protocols
- experience with greenhouse maintenance or management
- coursework in entomology, biology, horticulture, plant pathology, agronomy or related fields
To apply, email PDF resume, cover letter + Spring/Summer class schedule to:
Jacque Pohl at email@example.com
Deadline: April 14